30 Days to a NEW BRAIN. NEW GAME. NEW EDGE.
30 days of BRAINPOWER BREAKTHROUGH strategies – opening up the greatest resources you have, the un-tapped resources of your Brain.
For the next 30 days, each day I will post a simple strategy for you to implement to optimize your brain … I know I can get deep into the science, but let me tell you, once you optimize your brain, YOU WILL WANT TO LEARN EVERYTHING YOU CAN TO OPTIMIZE YOUR BRAIN EVEN MORE … then you’ll thank me for the all those long, juicy blogs!
Today’s BRAINPOWER BREAKTHROUGH STRATEGY: MEDITATION.
When I first heard about meditation, I was like what heck is it? I read about it and still didn’t understand it … it seems so abstract, seems like nothing special … close your eyes and then what the heck do you do???
When I first started meditation, my brain would race in circles and circles, and I’d be looking at the clock every two minutes to see when the 15 minutes was up. I had a brain in overdrive, which looped and looped and looped with racing thoughts and anxiety.
For me, I started and as soon as my eyes shut my brain started racing FASTER, not SLOWER. I got more tense, not less. Meditation can make your brain worse not better if you’re just sitting there ruminating on crappy thoughts!
But when done effectively, meditation can unleash the magic of your mind, and transform your body. Meditation has been proven to boost neurogenesis “brain cell growth”, reduce stress and brain cell death, improve heart health, speed healing, increase relaxation, focus, memory, resilience to stress and energy. The benefits of meditation are limited only to every aspect of your life. So how can you activate the magic of our mind with meditation?
Let me start by saying that Meditation is practice that people of all ages and all types of brains’ should be doing. Whether you’re a Spiritual Person, Entrepreneur, Executive, Professional Athlete, Kid in Kindergarten or Elderly Individual seeking to prevent Neuro-Degeneration, MEDITATION IS FOR YOU.
Meditation synchronizes and balances your brain and thus improves signalling Brain and Body-Wide. As a result, observations and studies show that meditation improves hormone health, neurotransmitter levels in the brain, and physiological measures like Blood Pressure. Meditation improves everything – mood, memory, energy – you name it.
How to Meditate – 2 General Types of Meditation:
- Focused Concentration – TAOIST
- EMPTINESS – SHAOLIN
I practice both. I RECOMMEND starting with TAOIST Meditation which leads to complete emptiness.
1. Find a Comfortable Place – Your HAPPY PLACE, to be associated with Relaxation & Joy 🙂
2. Sit up straight – Lotus Position or on a Chair
3. Gently Close your Eyes & Focus on your DAN TIAN “Energy Warehouse” – 3 fingers below belly-button, 3 fingers inwards from surface.
4. ABDOMINAL BREATHING – breathe into lower belly, lower belly expands. Breathe out Lower Belly Swings in. This Maximizes Oxygen Intake and Stokes the Fire “Ignites” the Qi, until Qi begins to “BOIL OVER” and then Flow through the entire body. When this happens the Qi correct the parts of the body which are out of balance (parts of the body which are damaged, and not functioning optimally, will be “leaking light” and energy deficient). When my Sifu, told me this it seemed rather abstract but as I experienced my Qi building, it did go to parts of my body like my lower back, my knees and shoulder and begin to heal them. Now the Qi is so tremendous that I can injure my knee, my shoulder or my back and within a day or less, the Qi heals the injury – RETURN TO YOUTH & HYPER-ACTIVATING THE BODY’s INNATE HEALING CAPABILITIES INDEED!
5. CONCENTRATION – Focus your mind EXCLUSIVELY on this one point, noticing the sensations as you breathe in and out.
6. COUNTING METHOD – as you breathe in, in your mind count 1 2 3, and as you breathe out, don’t count at all, completely let go. Counting method is optional, but the key is DELIBERATE, FOCUSED, CONCENTRATION.
DELIBERATE, FOCUSED CONCENTRATION is so important, because every-time you impose your consciousness, and focus your mind … every time you grab that “monkey mind” by the tail … and focus it, it TRAINS your brain to FOCUS EXCLUSIVELY on one thing.
Most people get splitting results … because they are constantly splitting their consciousness between many different things … and here’s the thing … when you split your consciousness … its not like you’re chopping up different parts … like cutting a full pizza into 6 different pieces … what happens is that when you split your consciousness, you actually LOSE a piece of pizza … and so only have 5 pieces … and only 83% of the total concentration you’d have if you FOCUSED EXCLUSIVELY on one thing. This has been more experience through transforming my brain.
The more clutter in your mind, the greater the in-efficiency. The more you can focus and align all your resources in one direction, the sharper your thinking, clearer your vision, and the faster you’ll effortlessly achieve breakthroughs in your life.
Ultimately just like building a muscle, you want to train and increase your brain’s capacity to access THE SUPER-LEARNING STATE – Consciously Quiet, Calm & Clear, MIND SHOOTING AHEAD.
While meditating, your monkey mind, will tend to wander to events, experiences, problems and all the things you need “TO DO”. Every time you consciously and deliberately FOCUS your mind back on your breathing, you engage your Prefrontal Cortex, and so increase the strength and firing of your Prefrontal Cortex. The Prefrontal Cortex, is the highest, most evolved part of the brain. It’s essentially “THE HUMAN BRAIN”, which governs our Executive Function, Regulates our Behaviour, Controls Impulses and Drives, and modulates our FOCUS, MEMORY, LANGUAGE and ability to process information and make decisions. FOCUSED CONCENTRATION via Meditation, activates and builds new neural connections between PFC and other brain regions. So with meditation you increase your brain ability to regulate the other regions of your brain, like the emotional limbic brain, increasing emotional control and intelligence.
Over time, FOCUSED CONCENTRATION builds new connections between PFC and other brain regions, thereby increasing your capacity to control autonomic functions such as your breathing rate, heart rate, and other physiological processes. As a result, meditation gives you the power and control to increase your body’s health. MONKS, YOGIS, SHAOLIN QIGONG MASTERS, display this extreme control and ability to regulate the physical body with incredible precision. You can begin to take control of your health as well. Ultimately only you can feel, experience, and know YOUR UNIQUE BRAIN AND BODY BEST. Thus you are the one BEST at optimizing and caring for your body.
Focused Meditation develops this profound ability to bring your body into balance, speed healing, and skyrocket your abilities – athletic performance, cognition, memory, focus, creativity – across the board.
As I see on QEEG Brain Maps of individuals with ADHD, Autism, Anxiety, Depression, Bipolar and many other neurological disorders, when chaos runs rampant your the brain, and your brain is imbalanced and de-synchronized, problems and dis-ease ensue.
The HALLMARK OF HEALTH … the Hallmark of a Healthy Brain, Healthy Body and Healthy Life is SYNCHRONY and BALANCE. I work with many elite performers who want me to light up individual parts of their brain so they feel like Super-man, but thats not what brings optimal health and optimal performance. SYNCHRONY and BALANCE in the BRAIN is what unleashes the Magic of the Mind. You see many people take drugs, nootropics, and cognitive enhancers to try to enhance cognition, but this just amplifies certain parts of your brain and cuts off others so in total, doesn’t allow you to nearly access anything close to your highest intelligence.
In the BRAIN, in terms of brainwaves, in terms of brain activation, you want BALANCED Brain Activity and Synchrony. Synchrony improves signalling, aka neurotransmitter and hormonal signalling in your brain and body.
Meditation synchronizes your brain and body, brings your conscious and unconscious mind into alignment, and synchronizes your brainwaves. Over time with meditation your brain will start to produce more of THE AWAKENED MIND, BRAIN PATTERN – synchronous amounts of Delta, Theta, Alpha, Beta and Gamma. It’s not about just one frequency but about the full balanced spectrum. By meditating in nature, this will harmonize your body with the natural frequencies of the environment, such as Earth and the Sun, and re-connect your body. Re-connecting is what needs to happen to slow Autism, Alzheimer’s and Neuro-degeneration (more on that in Autism 101 Blog).
Meditation is fantastic for:
- Reseting Circadian Clock when travelling to eliminate Jet Lag
- Reducing Anxiety and Increase Relaxation
- Deepening Sleep
- Increasing Focus, Memory & Learning.
- Increasing Physical Regeneration & Healing
- Increasing Weight Loss.
EXTREME YIN (SILENCE) breeds Extreme YANG (ACTIVITY). The more silent you can become internally the faster the external manifestation. The more you can quiet your conscious mind, the more you can unlock and unleash the full power of your unconscious mind. The more relaxed and silent your physical body, the more powerfully the QI, can flow internally to heal and regenerate your body. YIN & YANG. RELATIVITY. IT APPLIES TO EVERYTHING.
SILENCE and RELAXATION
As mentioned, while meditating your mind with tend to wander away to thoughts, problems, things you’ve got to do. If you are anything like I was, you’re mind probably races to problems as soon as you shut your eyes. So with meditation you want to focus exclusively on your breathing and Dan TIAN, and whenever your mind wanders go back to focusing on your breathing, and perhaps using the counting method.
Eventually over time your brain will drop into silence and you’re mind will go silent. It will seem like everything fades away. Just drop into the complete silence. Whenever your mind begins to wander, go back to focusing on DAN TIAN and your breathing. Over-time, by deliberately focusing your mind back on track whenever it wanders, you repeatedly activate your Prefrontal Cortex, which eventually leads to the neurons “Habituating” and thus turning off. Whenever neurons fire repeatedly, they eventually “shut off”. It’s just like your clothes on your body. You feel them at first, but then after a while you completely forget about them, and the subtle sensations on each part of your body go away and you’re free to focus on whatever it is you’re focusing on.
So after a bit of work, your PFC actually shuts off in deep mediation and you drop into complete silence. When you’re internally silent, thats when external manifestation happens at lightening speed. Extreme Yin (silence) breeds Extreme Yang (Motion, Manifestation). For Athletes and Executives, the quieter, clearer and calmer you are internally, the more you’ll get things done externally.
Start easy and simple. Start with 10 minutes. When meditating expect that your monkey mind may be racing the entire time thats okay. Deliberately Focus your mind on the breathing. Over time, the more you brain your brain to focus, the more it can learn to do it AUTOMATICALLY. We learn by first doing it deliberately and consciously, and the more we consciously focus, the faster our brain can integrate it into Procedural Memory, so our brain can do it automatically. We no longer have to try or think about it. Just like jumping on and riding a bicycle. You don’t have to think about it, you just jump on and ride.
Eventually, you’ll just close your eyes, and in an instant you’ll be riding the waves of relaxation and clarity.
CONSISTENCY IS KEY
After 100 consecutive days of meditation, magic will happen in your mind. Your senses will become sharper, your thoughts brighter, your perspective expanded and you’ll start to see the world in a new way. But in order to reap all the benefits of meditation you need to do it consistently. Do it every day if only for 10-15 minutes. Every day you miss puts you back two days.
The Optimal time meditate will be unique for each person. The top 3 times to meditate are Before Bed, After a Workout, Morning Before Work.
1. Meditation is a fantastic insomnia remedy, and will get you sleeping more restfully and deeply. Not only that, it will reduce your sleep needs. Meditation is so important to balance your brain and bring your mind to clarity before bed. Otherwise, your thoughts will continue racing in flux during sleep. Sleep is designed to “restore order and organize the brain”. You can drastically enhance the sorting, organization and consolidation processes that happen during sleep, by organizing and balancing your brain beforehand with meditation.
2. Extreme Yang leads to Extreme Yin. The problem with typical fitness and exercise approaches is that they are all external, and so often decrease, not increase health and longevity. We need the proper balance of internal and external power. Whenever we workout, we generate kinetic energy and liberate energy. By meditating after a workout or any time you exercise you consolidate and store this energy internally – to build up and strengthen internal organs, and increase internal flow of energy. This is how you improve your health fast! Not only that, by meditating after a workout, you EXPONENTIALLY INCREASE the biological processes stimulated by exercise, specifically autophagy, the process in which cells recycle all the waste products that have accumulated. This makes you feel lighter, brighter, accelerates weight loss and markedly increases brain function.
3. Before you start the day you want to be operating at the mountain-top of your abilities. You want your full focus, brainpower and willpower, so that you can see the solutions to all the problems and challenges you face. You simply can’t be productive or effective, if you’re not operating with your best. So take the 10 minutes, and arm your brain and body with balanced energy before you go war – YOUR DAY JOB 🙂
Now you have the “why” “what” “how” and “when” to begin a daily MEDITATION PRACTICE.
Let me tell you, MEDITATION is in the TOP 5 of the most powerful brain optimization practices you can do. Don’t underestimate the power of the simplicity. Meditation unleashes the full magic of your brain.
Meditation has been a game changer for me in terms of helping me overcome anxiety, panic, stress and accelerating learning, focus and memory. It is a game changer for you too.
MEDITATE YOUR WAY TO A MAGIC MEMORY & MAGIC MIND NOW!